3.45.030 Powers and duties of fire chief.
A. It shall be the duty of the fire chief to:
1. Be responsible for the personnel, morale and general efficiency of the city of Maricopa fire/medical department.
2. Direct the activities and operations of the city of Maricopa fire/medical department to protect life and property through:
a. Fire suppression;
b. Fire code enforcement;
c. Arson investigation and fire cause determination;
d. Fire and life safety education;
e. Emergency medical and rescue services;
f. Repealed by Ord. 22-26;
g. Hazardous materials response.
3. Plan and control department activities including recruitment of personnel and purchase of equipment.
4. Keep records and other information of the department open as may be required by federal, state and local laws, and furnish such information upon request in accordance with federal, state and local regulations. Records shall be kept secure and disclosed only in accordance with law and destroyed in accordance with published records schedules.
5. Enforce or cause to be enforced all codes, ordinances, laws and regulations of the city and state, insofar as they pertain to fire and life safety.
6. Prepare and administer the budget for the department.
B. The fire chief or designee shall be present at all fires. During the progress of a fire, the authority of the fire chief shall be absolute in all matters directly concerning the extinguishment of the fire and the disposition of property endangered by it. [Ord. 22-26 § 1; Ord. 18-09 § 1; Res. 18-24; Code 2004 § 3-113.]